Vegan Pizza Recipe | Stranger Wings
Learn to make our most popular pizza at home: Stranger Wings!
Use your favourite dough recipe, or pick up a crust from your local grocery store. After the dough, there are three parts to the Stranger Wings: Buffalo Cauliflower, Cauliflower Bianca, and Blue Cheese Drizzle.
- 1 large cauliflower
- 300g chickpea flour
- 1 Tbsp paprika
- 1⁄4 Tbsp cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 Tbsp onion powder
- 1⁄2 Tbsp garlic powder
- 1⁄2 Tbsp kosher salt
- 1⁄2 Tbsp black pepper, coarsely ground
- 500ml water (approx)
- 1⁄2 cup bbq sauce
- 1⁄2 cup Sriracha sauce
- 1⁄4 tsp tapioca flour
- Preheat the oven to 230°C (450°F). Cut the cauliflower into bite-size florets separating the best 700g from the stalky parts. Save the stalky parts and remaining florets for the Bianca recipe below.
- Mix all the remaining ingredients, except the sauces and tapioca flour, in a large bowl. Add the water last and adjust the amount until a good batter consistency is achieved.
- Add the cauliflower florets to the bowl and gently toss until fully coated. Try not to break up the cauliflower any more than it is, work in batches if necessary.
- Line a few oven trays with parchment paper and spray or wipe with cooking oil. Arrange the florets being careful not to overcrowd and leaving space between each piece.
- Place in the oven for 10 minutes for a convection oven or around 20 minutes for a conventional oven. The cauliflower should be cooked but not browning too much. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.
- Whisk the sauces and tapioca flour together in a large bowl. Gently toss the cooked and cooled cauliflower until each piece is evenly coated. Set aside until building the pizza.
- 250g cauliflower trimmings from above buffalo recipe
- 150g potato (skin on)
- 60g white onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1⁄2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1⁄2 Tbsp chickpea miso
- 1⁄4 Tbsp salt
- 1⁄4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 Tbsp tapioca flour
- Roughly chop the cauliflower trimmings, potato and onion. Place microwave safe container with 300ml of water and microwave for 4 or 5 minutes to steam and soften.
- While still hot add to a blender, water and all, along with all the remaining ingredients, except the tapioca flour, and blend until smooth.
- Create a slurry out of the tapioca flour with 2 tablespoons of water. Transfer the blended mix to a saucepan, stir through the slurry and simmer until it has thickened into a sauce. Set aside until building the pizza.
Blue Cheese Drizzle
- 1⁄2 cup veganaise (eggless mayonaisse)
- 2 tsp tahini
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1⁄4 tsp onion powder
- 1⁄4 tsp garlic powder
- 1⁄2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1⁄4 tsp salt
- 1 clove garlic
- 1⁄2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 11⁄2 Tbsp water
- Mince the garlic clove and then add all ingredients to a bowl and whisk together.
- Transfer to a squeeze bottle and store in the fridge until ready to serve.
- Preheat the oven to 260°C (500°F), ideally with a pizza stone.
- Divide the dough in two and stretch out to roughly 30cm (12in). diameter on a well-floured work surface. Unless you’re a seasoned pro it’s easiest using a rolling pin. The dough should be quite thin.
- Spread the Bianca Sauce around evenly and then arrange the Buffalo Cauliflower on this.
- Bake in the oven for 5 to 10 minutes or until the crust is starting to develop a nice colour.
- When cooked, pour some Blue Cheese Drizzle over the top and scatter some chopped spring onions and fried shallots.
- Cut with a wheel knife and serve. Enjoy!